Herbrandston

Herbrandston is a rural community on the north shore of Milford Haven.

The village which gives the community its name has long-standing links with the sea via Sandy Haven Pill. It is a rare example of a ‘Thankful Village’ – one where all the village sons returned home safe from two world wars. In recent years the landscape has been changed by the arrival of the petro-chemical industry and, more recently, liquefied gas installations.

Herbrandston School (SM 869080)

The school still has its 1940 air raid shelter, a single storey building with a reinforced concrete roof. The doorway in the west wall was protected by a brick blast wall. Windowless, the building had ventilation bricks under the eaves and was designed to protect up to fifty people.

Searchlight Batteries

Little is left of the searchlight batteries which once stood at Abereiddy (SM 802313) and near Tresaer (SM 843320).

Further Reading:

The Pevsner Guide to the Buildings of Pembrokeshire by Lloyd, Orbach and Scourfield

The Fortification of Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock published by the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority

The Story of the Milford Haven Waterway by Sybil Edwards

Contacts:

For the history of the Haven forts, visit The Guntower Museum, Front Street, Pembroke Dock.

Herbrandston School (SM 869080)

51.730105, -5.0872619

Abereiddy (SM 802313)

51.936682, -5.1989255

Tresaer (SM 843320)

51.944571, -5.1398180