The north Pembrokeshire community of Llanrhian includes the farming village of Croesgoch, the seafaring settlement of Trefin and the little slate-exporting harbour of Porthgain.
Although Trefin is set back from the cliffs, it had close links to the sea via the inlets of Aberfelin and Abercastle and was a centre of smuggling in days gone by. The ruins of a mill are preserved at Aberfelin – one of two in the area owned by the bishops of St David’s. Porthgain still has many relics of its industrial past as a slate and granite exporting harbour and also the remains of a brickworks once capable of producing 50,000 bricks a week. Local legend has it that during the First World War, German U-Boats called in regularly at remote coves along the coast in order to replenish supplies of fresh water. Croesgoch has an active local history group which has access to a number of documents relating to military heritage, including Home Guard record books and photographs. There is also a Heritage Group in Trefin.
Llanrhian Searchlight Battery:
(SM 843320) This stood at Penlan near Trefin and was constructed in 1941. Nothing now remains of the small complex of Nissen huts and hardstandings which comprised the battery.
20th Century Defences in Britain published by the Council for British Archaeology
Porthgain and Abereiddi by Peter Davies.
Croesgoch history group contacts are Martin Roberts (01348 837805) or Ron Griffiths (01437 762365).
Llanrhian Searchlight Battery (SM 843320)